The Alliance for Excellent Research.SH encompasses 14 research-focussed institutions. These institutions commit themselves to strengthen Schleswig-Holstein as a science hub and improve the framework conditions for excellent research in the federate state.
The partner institutions aim at contributing their capacities and expertise in conducting cutting-edge research. Embedded in a diverse research and development landscape, the partners wish to significantly boost innovation in Schleswig-Holstein and beyond.
Dr. Anette Blaschke
Cooperating on inter- and transdisciplinary levels is key to develop solutions that meet today’s societal challenges.
Against this backdrop, the members of the Alliance for Excellent Research.SH aim at expanding and strategically evolving their cooperation, and thereby increase the visibility of Schleswig-Holstein as a science hub.
In their initial agenda the Alliance prioritises three fundamentally strategic objectives:
- Intensifying inter- and transdisciplinary cooperation in cutting-edge research
- Improving the framework for excellent research, especially in career advancement and in the use of joint of research infrastructures
- Positioning Schleswig-Holstein as a region of excellent research
The Alliance has detailed the cornerstones of their cooperation in a Memorandum of Understanding and in their profile paper (pdf, available only in German).
- Kiel University (CAU)
- European X-Ray Free-Electron Laser Facility GmbH (European XFEL)
- Research Center Borstel – Leibniz Lung Center (FZB)
- Fraunhofer Institute for Silicon Technology (ISIT)
- GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel (GEOMAR)
- Helmholtz-Zentrum Hereon
- Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW)
- Leibniz Institute for Science and Mathematics Education (IPN)
- Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Biology
- Muthesius University of Fine Arts and Design
- University Medical Center Schleswig-Holstein (UKSH)
- Universität zu Lübeck (UzL)
- Leibniz Information Centre for Economics (ZBW)
- Centre for Baltic and Scandinavian Archaeology (ZBSA)
The Alliance for Excellent Research.SH is strategically expanding its scientific collaborations. The Alliance believes that it is crucial to harness the collective strengths of its members, accumulating competencies and creating synergies.
The Alliance pools inter- and transdisciplinary perspectives in pioneering and internationally visible fields of research as well as innovation areas with a global significance. This includes, in particular, research on oceans and coasts, health and medicine, climate change and climate protection, sustainability and energy transition. Equally important fields of research are digital transformation and artificial intelligence, as well as societal, cultural, economic and environmental transformations.
Attracting and promoting outstanding scientists from Germany, Europe and beyond are high on the agenda of the Alliance for Excellent Research.SH.
The members commit to improve the living and working conditions for highly skilled scientists.
- sharing of programs for career advancement, additional qualification and further training to among Alliance members
- enabling support for family members of newly recruited top scientists (Dual Career)
- developing jointly further a family-friendly welcome culture with a regional touch specific to Schleswig-Holstein
Powerful infrastructures are key to achieve cutting-edge research results.
Great scientists need high-performance research infrastructures. Thus, the Alliance for Excellent Research.SH strives for cross-institutional access toresearch infrastructures. This way, they aim at empowering scientists to conduct research at the highest level – in an individual capacity and on a collaborative basis.
Cooperating in the area of research data – notably in research data management and research data infrastructures – allows for Schleswig-Holstein to maintain a competitive and attractive stance vis-à-vis national and international initiatives such as the National Research Data Infrastructure (NFDI) and the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC).